Interview with MS' economist

Roderick A Gammon AEG-Inc at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Oct 5 00:19:14 PDT 2001

This is an interview with the economist that testified _for_ Microsoft.
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1014-201-6271161-0.html

He is Dean of Sloan business school, but appears otherwise clueless.  When
asked about why Linux doesn't approach desktop penetration he notes:

"And it's clearly not going to. I don't understand the technology, so I
can't figure out why it's that hard. Linux may be harder, but I keep saying
to myself there are certain basic things you want. Couldn't you take Linux
and put an interface on it that made it, in effect, into a Windows emulator?
Why couldn't you do that? You're doing certain functions, there are certain
Linux commands. Why can't you write something that takes what you do
graphically to do it in Windows, translates it into Linux commands, and
executes it? I don't have a clue. I don't know this technology, but
obviously no one's done it, so it can't be quite that straightforward..."

Is it me or have the WINE faqs, since time immemorial, indicated that the
reason it is so hard has to do with fabricated issues and not tech ones?
Namely legal issues?

Sheesh.
-rod g

President, AEG, Inc.     | PhD. Candidate
Tools for multi-lingual  | Chinese Computational Linguistics
information processing.  | University of HI @ Manoa
http://www.aeg-inc.net   | http://www.aeg-inc.net/cuttingEdge