RPM update

sujith sudhi sujithsudhi at rediffmail.com
Thu Oct 4 08:06:39 PDT 2001

ALOHA,

        I've got a slight problem with the package manager in my installation of Redhat 6.2. I am unable to install newer packages as every new package I try to open causes the manager to report that it does not support packages with major numbers >3 and hence the installation will not proceed. I checked out the Redhat site and thier section on patches for 6.2 but nothing appears to be working.

1.) What(if any) patches should I download to rectify the situation ?

Also the XF86_SVGA server on my system appears to have grossly miscalculated the screen area and it now presents me with a cursor approximately

                 *          *
                  *        *
                   *      *
                    *    *
                     *  *
                      **
                     * *
                    *   *
                   *     *
                  *       *

            this big, on the screen. The text is also proportionately blown up.

The vga16 server however runs perfectly and I have been running the GUI on that.

The problem recurs when I run another server binary obtained from a CD (other than the one i installed with)

2.What configuration files should I change to reset the monitor size ?

    I have an Intel 810e motherboard and a Samtron monitor.The video card on the motherboard was shipped from the factory as a standard accessory and I have not changed it since I bought it.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

                                     Thanking you

P.S : My heart felt condolences to all those affected by the tragedy in America

                                         Sujith Sudhi