Telia's Linux on IBM Mainframe Success Story

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Nov 27 21:03:52 PST 2001

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/articles/issue15/lu15-smoothiron.html

"Opting to replace a Unix server farm with main-frame Linux made
headlines for Telia Net last December. Ten months on, Russ Foster
returns to find the big iron making big savings"

"Telia Net has around 1500 virtual servers running on the hardware at
present, which already represents a significant money saving as compared
with a non-virtual implementation. "We have made a cost calculation and
we think that a virtual server running on this mainframe system is about
10 per cent of the cost of running on the different platforms," says
Wulff Riedl. "So we are able to make a cost reduction of around 75-90
per cent."

Also read about the super cool virtual networking stuff within the
S/390.  Sounds like they are using Netfilter on one instance of Linux to
be the router for the other Linux virtual servers.

http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc
For those of us that can't afford a S/390 platform, check out the Linux
virtual server project.  Run *REAL* virtual servers each with their own
Linux kernel within your normal PC hardware.