486 Machines

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Wed Nov 21 07:15:49 PST 2001

I was unaware of any low bandwidth X options, but that would probably be
more efficient than VNC because of how VNC has to transmit all the mouse
movements, etc back and get the screen update (virtual framebuffer).  I
thought VNC might be an option though because even though it's about an
extra 10MB per server (at 1024x768), only 8 would be needed it seems
here, and that's only 80MB.  Low bandwidth X would probably be the way
to go, and there are some more reliable ISA ethernet cards than the
standard issue NE2000s.  I've had  great luck with my 3Com Etherlink III
(yes, I like 3Com) 3C509B-TPO.  Then again, I haven't had many problems
with some of my genuine NE2000s either, it's the cheap clones where you
run into problems.

If you put the 10mbit on a SWITCH, where the bandwidht isn't shared
between ports, with a 100mbit uplink to the server, you might even be
able to get standard X done, some initial draws might be a bit slow though.

--MonMotha