Request for off line security help

Ben Beeson beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Nov 13 23:33:50 PST 2001

Doug,
	Thanks for your help also.  After Chris' last input, I now believe I got
what "they" thought I wanted...  In other words, all is well in the world
today!
Respectfully,
Ben

Original Message dated 11/13/01, 6:29:15 AM
Author: Doug Stanfield <DOUGS at oceanic.com>
Re: [luau] RE: Request for off line security help:

Chris,
Thanks for this follow up email.  You just redeemed yourself. :-)
What I know about Digital Island scans:  They never scan the end
customer.  Their footprint servers number somewhere between 400 and 500
and they use a synchronization and randomization algorithm to make sure
none of them scan a target simultaneously.  You'd probably see the 400 or
so scans spread over a two hour period.  They are supposed to _only_
check the DNS server of your domain with a few pings.  Even this minimal
activity has some in the networking community up in arms. ;-)  They would
definitely not dare to port scan a user as you describe.
[Chris wrote]
> The IP that you were scanned from is a customer of ours,
> Qualys.com.  They are a security company that business hire
> to do comprehensive security screening.
> I do not know why they were scanning you.  It could be one of
> reasons:
> 1.  Road runner hired them to do an assessment on their network.
No.  I believe I can speak authoritatively on this.  Road Runner security
does all its own scanning.  They scan from a single subnet in their
address space.  If you point a web browser at the address that scans you
there is an informative message about the procedure.
> 2.  Someone may have compromised their network and is doing
scans from behind their firewall.
> 3.  Someone in their company is messing around.
I vote for one of these.  There are some nasty things floating around the
Internet these days.  Ben, you were right to question what was happening.
-Doug-
---
You are currently subscribed to luau as: beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com