Router question

whenever whatever at whoever.net
Tue Nov 13 19:43:02 PST 2001

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 11:03:02AM -0800, Dusty wrote:
> When I sent my last post I assumed that the Linux box was going to also be a firewall, but you don't state that?  Do you really need the Linux router?  Why not just let the Cisco 25xx do all your routing?

  First, thanks for the respone Dusty, the Linux router is use for bandwidth management(changes were made since yesterday), I need to limit bandwidths to my subnets.  I found ET/BWMGR - Bandwidth Manager at http://www.etinc.com/, like what you said, it does bridging and looks like just taking up one ip, it's base OS is Linux and/or BSD. I am hoping to keep my flat network, else I have to update the DNS, last time took about 2 months, to make a long story short, it's a DoD network.  I think we are going get the license($695) only, I would like to get the rackmount unit for $3000, but the fy02 is tight.  I have to make a decision on BSD or Linux for this, so far I am heading toward BSD for some unknown reason, what do you think?  btw, the link is a P-t-P T1.

thanks