can't get host name

Rodney Kanno pepe65 at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Nov 13 11:44:39 PST 2001

I need help trying to get my computer to perform a host name lookup when
starting KDE & Gnome. I have checked my etc/hosts file and set it to the
following:

127.0.0.1		home.happy home

and my etc/sysconfig/network file:

NETWORKING=yes
FORWARD_IPV4=false
HOSTNAME=home.happy
DOMAINNAME=home

Things work fine until I reboot, during the boot-up process, the computer
informs me that it is "correcting" the etc/hosts file back to:

127.0.0.1		localhost.localdomain localhost

I have tried changing the etc/sysconfig/netwrok file so that
hostname=localhost.localdomain & domainname=localdomain. But KDE and Gnome
still cannot perfomr a host name lookup. Is there a setting somewhere else
that I need to set as well?

I'm running Mandrake 8.1

Thanks,
Rodney