load balancing question

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Nov 9 17:16:34 PST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ronnie T Livingston" <rlivings at hawaii.edu>
To: "Linux & Unix Advocates & Users" <luau at list.luau.hi.net>
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2001 2:54 PM
Subject: [luau] load balancing question

> Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows whether it is possible to use one
> linux cluster to handle the load of more than one web application at a
> time?
>
> thanks,
> Ronnie

If you run a database on one server like MySQL or PostgreSQL, you can easily
have multiple Apache web servers in front of that accepting the web requests
with either a load balancing router or round-robin DNS.  Your scripts must
be written in a such a way that it wont break with concurrent accesses like
this, but it is workable.

I believe Slashdot currently uses a FreeBSD box to do their load balancing
delegation to multiple web servers, with a massive MySQL  InnoDB backend.