PowerPC Help??

mmn mmn at inix.com
Mon May 28 22:27:56 PDT 2001

I managed to get suse PPC 7.0, OS 9.1 and OSX into a G3 powerbook.
Leaving out the OSX install here's my approach.

First did a clean install of the Mac OS. During this phase I partitioned
the drive using Drive Setup. I create a HFS+ partition for the Mac OS. I
also created linux swap and / partitions. The annoying thing is that the
suse 7.0 installer has a problem with the way Drive Setup formats ext2
partitions. So I had to repartition the drive again and leave the Swap
and / partitions as empty partitions (unformatted) Annoyingly this means
installing the Mac OS all over again. Anycase, the suseppc 7.0
installer does a good job of detecting the partitions and recognized all
the hardware etc.

Once you have it installer, you have to setup suseppc's version of lilo
for the mac.
Don't use that thing call BootX. Its for older macs and is unpredictable
with OS 9.1
I bought the box set of 7.0 and the manual that came with it had pretty
detailed instructions on how to set up lilo. If the Linux partitions are
on the internal drive you wouldn't have to fool around with the firmware
to set it up-- just a edit a few text files. This can be tricky. You
have to have the suse CDROM at hand to boot into linux
till the duel boot is set up.

I don't know if this is true with 7.1 which is why i hesitate to post
what's on the manual. From what I've read on the Linuxppc lists and the
suseppc list 7.1 seems to have
more probs than 7.0 which is why I haven't upgraded.

I could lend you my suse 7.0 CDs and manual if you want. At least I know
it works :) on the duel boot side. I had a miserable experience with
Linuxppc 2000 which is why I switched to suseppc.

mathisha