IP changeover

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed May 23 17:07:38 PDT 2001

I've noticed that most ISA NIC cards can barely handle the higher speeds
possible on cable modems.  I have a 3Com ISA (I think Vortex) and that card
seems significantly slower than my PCI Linksys LNE100TX cards.  The ISA
thruput would never go above 80KB/sec, but my Linksys can easily do multiple
100-200KB/sec transfers and 600KB/sec from Akamai.  According to Ray Strode,
the ISA bus and ISA cards in general can't handle10Mbit connections.

Of course if Julio doesn't mind slower speeds, then his two NE2000 ISA cards
are fine if he can figure out the IRQ and IO kernel parameters.

These numbers are only based upon my experiences... ISA just seems to be
wholly inadequate, and you gotta watch out for the many crappy PCI 10/100
cards.  CNET cards in particular suck.  Please add more to this list.