Security

jay jay at musubi.org
Mon May 21 01:28:54 PDT 2001

On 21 May 2001, Dusty wrote:

> I was thinking these should be pretty basic and not more than 30
> minutes each.  Are any of our 2600 buddies on this list that would be
> willing and able to talk about "Intro to hacking redhat"?  Devin or
> anyone, would you do a short class on securing Redhat?  I could then
> do the Assessment class.

er, i wouldn't be able to talk about it (won't be back in hawaii for
another couple months), but i'd be able to assist in writing an intro
to hacking redhat.

-local exploits
 -password brute forcing
 -local network sniffing
 -stack smashing
 -physical access

-remote exploits
 -OS fingerprinting (passive/active)
 -selective port scanning and the use of decoys
 -identifying services
 -using fragmented packets
 -network mapping
 -protocol weaknesses (NFS,NIS,etc)
 -stack smashing
 -DOS attacks

that's all i can think of off the top of my head,
but i'm still hungover from yesterday so i'll probably
have more ideas when my brain stops bleeding.

=jay

------
"I did nothing, absolutely nothing.  And
 it was everything I thought it could be."