Is anyone using SuSE 7.1?

Nelson Garcia garcian002 at hawaii.rr.com
Tue May 15 14:45:53 PDT 2001

This is just a long list of ideas.  I'm not really an expert, just throwing
in my two cents.

I'm not sure if I would look at inetd.conf since that didn't sound like it
changed.  If you look there, also check hosts.allow and hosts.deny.

I agree with Warren, how did you install PHP for use with apache  (mod-php
or as cgi?).  But even if you installed it stand-alone, I don't see why that
would interfere with apache.

Is httpd *really* running and listening fo connections?  (ps, netstat, nmap,
killall -HUP inetd, apachectl stop/start ??)

You might also want to look for a /etc/php.ini file and look for anything
weird in it like module references pointing at the wrong path, etc.  By the
way, sometimes that file includes windows settings that need to be commented
out.  Again, I don't see how that would really affect apache.

Could it be some strange compile option that you didn't catch, like ssl or
something to cause apache to be setup to listen on port 443.  I'm grasping
here...

Continuing to grasp... could it be a bad symbolic link created or broken by
the other install?  I'm not familiar with SuSE, so I don't know where to
point you (some /bin directory probably).

That's about all I can think of.
In my experience of trying to get apache, php 4.0 and MySQL to work together
I found that the easiest way to me was to find a different package and
reinstall instead of playing with all the various configuration options.

Good luck,
Nelson