Hardware Recommendations for LTSP

Steve steve at iwsys.com
Wed May 9 17:26:14 PDT 2001

Are you sure the cost savings over SCSI RAID are _really_ there?  How much
mass storage do you need?  I bought 15 18GB U160 scsi drives on ebay for
$130ea and then got a 64bit PCI AMI MegaRAID Elite 1600 for $350.  The nice
chassis was about $250.  Add a couple cables and terminators at about $150
and I have ~200GB U160 SCSI RAID 5 (3 separate arrays on their own
channels) in a 64bit PCI slot.  This thing screams and the CPU is doing
nothing for the RAID I/O.  My backup is a Sony DDS3 DAT (12/24GB)
drive.  It works wonderfully with tar.  The advantage of SCSI that I would
think would benefit you is hardware error detection/correction.

RAID 5 does nothing to improve performance.  It has to do a parity
calculation and there is some overhead in this.  SCSI RAID off loads this
to the RAID controller CPU.  I would think the cache on the controller
would probably offset this loss.  The memory interleaving of the AMI
controllers would probably go even further to offsetting that.  One last
benefit of the SCSI solution is the MegaRAID driver is very well developed
in linux.

I'm pretty sure "bonding" ethernet interfaces is going to require the
switch to participate in that bonding.  We do it with one of our Cisco
switches and a 4 port nic in one server.  After setting it up, it seems
that gigabit ethernet would have been a better way to go.  Switch fabric is
also going to be a concern here.

Anyway, just my opinions and observations.