Cyberclops in a bind

Cyberclops Cyberclops at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Mar 30 11:34:13 PST 2001

My problem is that I have no idea what any of the the syntax means.  I
typed the following and got similar results, but with a different
number.  What does each section of what I typed mean and what does each
section of what was returned mean?  I know somebody said, "The grep
commands gets it name from
what it does.  It finds Global Regular Expression Patterns.  And regexp
gets it name from REGular EXPression."

root> ps ax | grep named
1284 pts/1    S      0:00 grep named