routers

Stan konastan at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Mar 27 21:08:54 PST 2001

  Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router Review
 EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port 10/100 Switch (Model BEFSR41)

Page 1  - Introduction

A "Joint-Project" Review by:
 - SpeedGuide.net - CoreMeltdown.com - G256.com -

Speedguide

Core Meltdown

G256

Manufacturer:    Linksys
 Product/Model: Instant Broadband EtherFast Cable/DSL Router [Mo.# BEFSR41]
 Price:   Estimated Street Price: $199, Online Price: ~$155
 Buy it: $81.95 (12/04/00)  Click here to buy it at Buy.com
 Date:  March XX,  2000
 Reviewers/Writers:  [Brent (Core Meltdown)]; [Vorpal (G256)]

We would like to thank the following sites for their effort in this joint
project review: SpeedGuide, Core Meltdown, G256, and BrokenPixel. Both of us
(Brent & Vorpal) have been very pleased with our Linksys EtherFast Routers
and are excited to be doing a review on this product. When we started talking
about merging our separate reviews, we felt the combined experiences of both
a DSL subscriber (Vorpal), and a Cable Modem subscriber (Brent), would
provide for a more thorough and informative review. We hope you enjoy this
review and take notice, more WILL follow about this Router from us!

Broadband Internet: Everyone wants it, and they want it to be as fast and
cheap as possible. Until recently, the only type of high-speed Internet
Service available to most of us was a business level service (such as as
leased T1 lines). This type of service is far too expensive for home users.
Cable Modem or xDSL service has not been an option for many of us until
recently.  Because of a lack of service coverage, or outrageous prices, many
of use have been stuck with standard analog modem service for some time. This
has now changed! Over the past year, Cable and xDSL services have exploded
onto the market! Even though both services have been around for several years
now, the price has gone down considerably, and the availability has increased
exponentially. Major service providers are now advertising heavily, and
offering incredible service packages that bring broadband Internet service
into the reach of the average home user. One of the biggest problems with
these services, was the need to buy or lease expensive Cable or xDSL modems.
These modems have an average cost of $200. Now, many providers such as
Southwestern Bell are offering those modems for 'free' with as little as a
one-year service contract. Both services (Cable, xDSL) are FAST (for the most
part ;-) compared to the standard dial-up connections that everyone is
accustomed to, and a heck of a lot cheaper than those leased T1 lines. The
overwhelming majority of consumers should now have the option of getting
either Cable Internet Service or xDSL (maybe even both).

There has also been an explosion in the average number of PC's per household.
People have been upgrading their computers, and, doing such things as giving
their children or spouses the older systems. What if you have two or more
computers in your home and want to share your single Internet connection?

If you have Cable modem, or xDSL service and you want to share your Internet
connection within your home, this Router is for you!  If you have ever
thought about setting up a home network (LAN) to share your Cable or xDSL
connection with more than one computer the Linksys Router was made
specifically for this purpose.   It is a Hardware Based DHCP Server that
allows you to share your Internet connection with up to 253 client PC's. You
can share out your single Internet connection to that many systems.  It also
acts as a hardware Firewall, providing the best security and protection from
Internet Hackers and Peeping Tom's (lurkers). And, to top it all off, it's
the ONLY Router in it's class which uses a 4-Port 10/100 Switch, instead of a
standard non-switching HUB! (in English: It's both fast and compatible). It
also has a dedicated uplink port so you can easily add more switches or
hubs.* This will allow you to expand your network beyond the built-in 4 port
limit. Obviously, this Router provides for enough potential connections to
satisfy the most insatiable tech-addict or small business! If you are
considering this Router for a small business, it is capable of handling a fat
(business level) 1.5MBps pipe!   ( A business level T1 is only capable of
1.5Mbps. This router can handle a connection 8 TIMES faster than that).

Note: On the Router's retail box it says "capable of handling up to a 1.5Mbps
WAN connection" That is a type-o! (and not one in their favor at all - what a
boo-boo). It should read "capable of handling up to a 1.5MBps WAN connection"
(or it could say 10Mbps). Basically, because of that type-O, they are wrongly
advertising the Router as 1/8 as fast as it really is on the WAN port
(potentially). (We hope no one gets fired over there at Linksys :) Also, just
to make sure you know at this point: The Router supports either 10Mbps or
100Mbps at Full-Duplex on the LAN side.

Note: if you use the uplink port it is shared with port#1 (you can only use
one or the other). Also, uplink cables must be 'crossover' cables.) For
information on how to make a crossover cable (or what they are), check out
these links: Make a crossover coupler for a standard cable Kan.org , buy a
crossover cable locally or somewhere like CablesNMore, or make your own cable
by putting on new ends - info here at the very nice site (and very nice
guide) MakeItSimple.

It's been about three months since Linksys announced their new EtherFast
Cable/DSL Router. Their press release proclaims:

"NEW LINKSYS CABLE/DSL ROUTER PROVIDES COMPLETE AND AFFORDABLE SOLUTION FOR
HOME OR OFFICE BROADBAND ACCESS."

The EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router Offers Broadband Internet Sharing, Firewall
Security, 10/100 Switching Capabilities, NAT, IP Routing and VPN capabilities
for the Home or Office."

-read the full press release here in .doc format-

-Listed product features- Connects to a Broadband Modem Or to An Ethernet
BackboneEquipped With a 4-port 10/100 SwitchConnects All of Your PCs to the
Internet With Only One Purchased IP AddressCreates a Firewall to Protect Your
PCs From Outside IntrudersConfigurable Through Any Networked PC's Web
BrowserThe Switch Dramatically Speeds Up Your Gaming and Multimedia
ConnectionsCan Act as Either a DHCP Server or Client Compatible with All
Standard Internet ApplicationsAdministrators Can Block Specific Interior
Users' Internet AccessTechnical Support - 24 Hours a Day, 7 Days a WeekFull
1-Year Warranty or Small Office