Home Networking Question

Ben Beeson beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Mar 15 23:43:09 PST 2001

Aloha all,

     	I am trying to setup a small home LAN.  My Linux box is RH6.0 based and
has 2 NICs.   My Windoze box has Windows ME and 1 NIC.  What I want to do is
use the Linux box to masquerade the IP for the Windoze box to share the
connection for the internet so both computers can use it at the same time.  Now
the problem....  I can telnet from the windoze box to the linux box, and I can
ping by IP both ways.  I can ping by name both ways on the LAN.  I cannot
however, ping from windoze to outside via anything except the IP address.  The
rest of the networking stuff on the Linux box works great, so I am not too
worried...  However, I cannot get the balance of the networking stuff to
work correctly on the windoze box until this gets resolved.  I think I may
have either a routing problem, or a DNS problem, but for the life of me, I
can't figure it out.  If anyone has any words of wisdom, I would be very
grateful.

Thanks,

Ben