[Wftl-lug] lastlog and syslogd weirdness

Nelson Garcia garcian002 at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Mar 12 10:52:43 PST 2001

Jay, here's a recap:
The problem is that on Sunday morning I noticed that my syslog contained
hundreds of entries indicating 'restarting syslogd' and that my 'lastlog'
file contained only garbage characters.  I killed a 'logrotate' process that
seemed to be running way too long and that fixed the spurrious syslog
entries. I then 'rm' and 'touch lastlog' but it still continued to log
garbage.

I wrote the group wondering if this sequence of events sounded like a known
hack or if it was simply a corrupt file or some other anomaly that someone
might have already experienced.  I mistakenly announced that only port 80
should be open.

You did the portscan showing ports 80 and 25 open, which in retrospect
sounds right, and we are still pondering posibilities...