ip aliasing

David Eason d.eason at home.com
Thu Mar 15 01:34:51 PST 2001

I just did a full install of slackware 7.1, I did this thinking it would
install whatever file/package I was missing.  Previously I was attempting
IP aliasing on my box, which i've done in the past with no problems at
all.  These are the commands I've inputted with the last one failing,
error messages will follow that line:

/sbin/ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 up
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 203.175.7.201
/sbin/ifconfig eth0:0 203.175.7.208
(note ip addies altered slightly)

SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device

Keep in mine i'm not sure if ip_alias.o is loaded as a module, i was going
to run /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ipv4/ip_alias.o just to make
sure but I don't even have ip_alias.o on my machine which I don't
understand because I did a full install, all 300+ megs.  Anyhelp would be
appreciated.

-Dave