simple question about a "rule"

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Jun 27 10:20:27 PDT 2001

> thanks for all of the suggestions, but I think I was unclear as to what I
> wanted. I just want to start a program at boot, after the network is
> initialized, and if the process dies I want it to respawn. So lets say I
> want to start hellworld at boot how do I do it.
Steve was right, Eric was close.  If you want it to automatically restart,
the fastest way to do it, is to have init handle it.  init is the first program
that gets called when your computer starts and it provides facillities to
do what you want.  Eric's way will make the program run at startup,
but not respawn itself.

As root type:
echo 'x:345:respawn:/usr/bin/HelloWorld' >> /etc/inittab

Make sure the above line has two right carets.(>> instead of >).  Ofcourse
you change /usr/bin/HelloWorld to your program name, and 345 to the
runlevels you want it to be running on.

--Ray