simple question about a "rule"

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Jun 27 01:26:46 PDT 2001

Cracking your machine with only SSH would be very difficult to nearly
impossible without knowing your passwords.  OpenSSH itself is perhaps the
safest thing you can run, but if you want to be ultra paranoid try these
tips.

* Disable root login in the sshd configuration.  You shouldn't login as root
anyway.  (Yes, I'm a stupid hypocrite.)  Login as an unpriveledged user, and
su or sudo if needed.
* Use secure passwords.  Mix upper and lower case, numbers and symbols and
DO NOT USE DICTIONARY WORDS.
* Use iptables and disallow all port 22 connections unless they come from
hosts that you specify.
* OR if you don't ever need to login remotely, just turn off the SSH daemon.
Can't crack a machine that is off.