fresh install

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Jun 25 22:25:58 PDT 2001

rhn_register
up2date

The Gnome version is shiny and GUI, but the text mode version works fine.
After you register and login to Red Hat Network, you can be e-mailed whenever updates are available.  Updates can be applied by either running up2date (graphical version), or up2date -u from a command line.

Also disable all unneeded services.  DO NOT USE portmap, nfs, xinetd (including telnet and wuftpd).  In fact, start with only sshd, and enable things from there if you absolutely need them.