Printing man pages

Jeff Mings jeffm at lava.net
Mon Jun 18 20:02:27 PDT 2001

Hi all,

This one was really driving me nuts....  Perhaps I can save someone else
hours of frustration with this story.
I want to print a man page once in a while, or at least print to file so
I can toss it into a PDA, but everything I tried loses any text that's
printed in large bold text.  For example, the output of  something like:
groff -Tascii /usr/share/man/man8/iptables.8.gz > iptables.text  will
lose the entire nine lines between synopsis and description.  Everything
else that is simple ascii is output.  Even selecting postscript or HTML
as the output device with the -T parameter results in the same lines
being lost.
Here's what finally worked (sorry to users of other environments, this
is a KDE-based solution):
After firing up Konqueror and using the special #-means-a-man-page
notation, I brought up the man page in question.  For some reason,
printing it directly to the printer didn't work.  However, if you print
it to file, you can then print it with a ghostscript viewer.  You can
also save it as HTML from Konqueror for handy packing in your PDA or
other HTML-capable device.

-Jeff Mings