Linux for the great unwashed masses...

Roderick A Gammon AEG-Inc at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Jun 4 13:22:25 PDT 2001

I recently read an interview with a Sony official (somewhere on ps2.ign.com)
that X-Box was "scary" because "anyone with a pc" could develop for it.
This bummed me because it seems it would come to pass- leveraging one
monopoly into another and after days of game play the finale is a bsod.

So it's cool that Linux is released, but can it be used for development for
PS2 directly (rahter than an app within linux)?  With the PS1 Sony had a
rudimentary game-dev kit tied to a contest for best new game.

Of course, linux in a PS2 would be better than linux on a pc in many cases
anyway.  The hardware is better integrated and the key-pad is a great
design.  I guarantee my mother-in law would use the web more with a PS2 than
she does on her pc.  And it would be a $^%#ing excellent platform for the
educational language apps I write.

So, if anyone gets any news on this please send to me or list.  (I'd
especially like specs on the memory cards.  PS2 can read both PS1/2 cards,
but only in context of apps for whichever platform.

aloha-
rod g