Do your part to keep open source safe

beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Jul 31 23:11:45 PDT 2001

Aloha all,

	I was thinking today -- that is sometimes dangerous...  What if someone
wrote a piece of software that mildly encrypted some electronic
communications,  be it e-mail, web traffic, or whatever and then uses
this software in the lawful pursuit of those three things we all hold
near and dear as listed in the Declaration of Independence... life,
liberty, and the pursuit of happiness (
http://www.nara.gov/exhall/charters/declaration/declaration.html ). Let
us now suppose that this piece of software is copyrighted by the author
so that it becomes protected by the DMCA.  Now suppose the FBI, or some
other law enforcement agency notices this encrypted traffic and does not
know what it means, or that it is used in the lawful pursuit of life,
liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, and then decides to crack it.

	Does the copyright owner now have grounds to sue that law enforcement
agency for reverse engineering its software?  (Reverse engineering would
be functionally equivalent to cracking the algorithm.) Would a foreign
nation have grounds to sue the US if they discovered their encrypted
communications had been cracked?

	I don't know, I was just wondering if we have not already dug our own
grave on this one and we just don't realize it....

Cheers,

Ben

On 7/31/01, 9:43:20 AM, Jeff Mings <jeffm at lava.net> wrote regarding [luau]