Firewire and Linux, (WAS: Win4lin and Wine)

Deven Phillips dphillips at viata.com
Fri Jul 27 05:09:21 PDT 2001

With the exception of the export to RealVideo, I am having good results
with MainActor. My DV dumps seem to work fine too. If anyone needs
specifics on how I got FireWire to work with DV cameras, just e-mail me.
Also, you cannot do DV under Linux with a PCILynx Fire Wire card!!!! It
doesn't work correctly.

Deven Phillips, CISSP
Network Architect
Viata Online, Inc.

Dusty wrote:

> I really haven't gotten firewire to work under linux.  here is a site tht tells you how to get everything running:
>
> http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/start_install.html
>
> On Mandrake 8 firewire in already compiled into the kernel, so you just need to make the devices and load the modules and dependencies.  It detects my card, it sees my camera when I plug it in, but when I try to capture video I get and error.  I am not sure if my firewire card is not 100% compatable or what.  I have been doing most of my video editing work in BeOS.  I have tried importing some of the work into MainActor and Broadcast2000, but I didn't like what I saw.
>
> Dusty

> > Hey Dusty,
> >
> > How'd you get your firewire to work in Linux?Any HOWTOs out there?
> >
> > Rodney
> >
> > On Thursday 26 July 2001 10:10 am, you wrote:
> > > No direct X might be a problem.  Premiere requires Direct X for DV.  I
> > > might be able to capture in something else (dvgrab or bcast), export to
> > > some other format(mpeg), edit in premiere and after effects, and use
> > > something else to get it back out my DV.  The problem is that I am pretty
> > > sure I will have quality loss and that is a lot of extra steps and places
> > > for error.  Plus Win4lin only uses 64mb ram, not much when you start tyring
> > > to render 28 minutes (~30GB) worth of dv.
> > >
> > > Dusty

Sorry if the spelling sucks, but my laptop battery is runn....