Newbie questions

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Jul 24 21:14:39 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ray Strode" <halfline at hawaii.rr.com>
To: "Linux & Unix Advocates & Users" <luau at list.luau.hi.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2001 12:28 PM
Subject: [luau] Re: Newbie questions

> > 1)  RH PPP Dialer (RP3).  I have a history of getting slow connections
> > on my provider, on RH 7.0 I used wvdial because the RH GUI version
> > didn't work for me at all.  ANyway, I want to be able to see what my
> > connection speed is.  Also, I have problems disconnecting sometimes, is
> > there some place I can cat a command to shutdown.  I don't know my
> > 'hangup' command but I can find it.
> I've not done any dialup in linux before, but IIRC, hangup for modems is
> +++
> so you could try
> # cat "+++" > /dev/ttySn
> where n is a number from 0 to 3 that is the com port of your modem.

+++ followed by a second or two of inactivity brings a modem connection into
command mode where you can type AT commands.  ATH0 (that is a zero, not the
letter O) is the standard command to drop carrier (hang up).

 <SNIP>

> > 3)  When I used to work on Sun SPARCs we had a terminal like program
> > titled 'Console'.  It was output only, no input, but it listed every
> > error that occurred on the system (CLI or GUI based).  On Linux I rarely
> > get error messages on my GUI stuff unless I brought it up on CLI through
> > xterm.  Can I get a similar thing on RH 7.1?
> There is a program called roottail, which will basically run tail on the
log files
> or your choice and put them on the root window (or maybe it puts them on
> decorationless windows that are direct children of the root window, i
don't
> remember).

Try this:
tail -f /var/log/messages

Although this will only tail the "messages" log file.  There are several
others.  Take a look at the files within /var/log