Newbie questions

Brian Farnell bfarnell at gte.net
Tue Jul 24 06:12:53 PDT 2001

OK so I am a newbie and I hate to clog the list with this stuff, but I
am having problems (RH 7.1).

1)  RH PPP Dialer (RP3).  I have a history of getting slow connections
on my provider, on RH 7.0 I used wvdial because the RH GUI version
didn't work for me at all.  ANyway, I want to be able to see what my
connection speed is.  Also, I have problems disconnecting sometimes, is
there some place I can cat a command to shutdown.  I don't know my
'hangup' command but I can find it.

2)  cdrecord.  Burned my CD beautifully, but when I left my newly burnt
CD in cdrom1 and tried to look into it, all Hell broke loose. My system
slowed way down, and all of my GNOME icons went gray.  When I tried to
reboot my shutdown sequence hung.  It flashed some message about SCSI (I
am using IDE-ATAPI CD-ROM) that I couldn't quite read over and over.
When I manually powered down and restarted I had no GNOME icons (CLI
still worked) and all kinds of errors listed on an alternate tty
relating to GTK errors.  Evidently, it's OK with me calling my IDE
CD-ROM a SCSI for writing, but after that it looks for a SCSI device for
reading and unmounting and can't find it (that's my guess).  Eventually
I just re-installed the system to fix it.  Looking at the cd through
CDROM0 worked fine.

3)  When I used to work on Sun SPARCs we had a terminal like program
titled 'Console'.  It was output only, no input, but it listed every
error that occurred on the system (CLI or GUI based).  On Linux I rarely
get error messages on my GUI stuff unless I brought it up on CLI through
xterm.  Can I get a similar thing on RH 7.1?

4)  My KDE menu seems mostly bunk, my default is GNOME and the KDE menu
seems broken.  If I guess right about the program name I can bring it up
fine through the xterm.

I appreciate any help anyone has, also does the RH 7.1 update 1 fix any
of these problems or are they my problems?

Regards,
Brian