White House Switched to Linux

Deven Phillips, CISSP dphillips at viata.com
Mon Jul 23 22:12:44 PDT 2001

In truth, a quick bit of investigation shows that whitehouse.gov doen't
in fact run on Linux, but merely Akamized!!!

Here's what there server outputs:

[dphillips at supertivo dphillips]$ telnet www.whitehouse.gov 80
Trying 216.32.119.44...
Connected to a1289.cf.akamai.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /

HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request
Server: AkamaiGHost
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 05:09:31 GMT
Connection: close

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>Bad Request</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Bad Request</H1>
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.<P>
</BODY>
</HTML>
Connection closed by foreign host.

It should be noted that the web's best forward caching system uses
Linux!!!! That is an important win.

Deven Phillips, CISSP
Network Architect
Viata Online, Inc.