White House Switched to Linux

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Jul 23 14:51:11 PDT 2001

The Code Red worm that cracked those 200,000+ Microsoft IIS servers was
poorly coded to attack the IP address, and not the domain name of
whitehouse.gov.  So all they did was change their DNS info to point to some
other location that just happened to be running Linux, and Code Red
attempted to attack a location that no longer existed.  That particular worm
couldn't form connections to the target, so it didn't deliver the attacking
payload that would have potentially destabilized the Internet.  The Netcraft
scan could mean that the web server(s) themselves are running Linux, or
their setup could be behind some type of Linux load balancer or router.

What does this mean?
WINNER White House - With prompt technical analysis and action, they managed
to protect not only themselves but the Internet.
WINNER Internet - Thanks to the White House technicians, the Internet wasn't
flooded and destabilized.
WINNER Linux - Somebody thinks Linux is reliable enough for the White House
web site.
LOSER Microsoft.