burning 700MB cds

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sun Jul 22 22:38:20 PDT 2001

First, your ability of burning 700MB CD's will depend on two things.
1) If your burner supports "overburning"
2) If you have 650MB or 700MB media

Most of the better burners support "overburning", that is being able to
write more than 650MB on 650MB media.  Keep in mind that is can be DANGEROUS
and destroy some older burners, and different brands of 650MB media will
reach anywhere between 660-700MB.  If your media does not reach that high,
you effectively ruined the entire disk.  Here is a good chart that says
which brand and models of burners support overburning and several other CD
burning features.
http://www.ahead.de/en/recorder.htm

However, all of these problems can be avoided if you simply use 700MB media.
700MB media seems to be the same price as 650MB at CompUSA now, and burners
that can't overburn will burn 700MB on 700MB media just fine.

As for gtoaster, I haven't tried any Linux burning GUI software for 2 years.
I only use the command line cdrecord.  I will take a look at the latest
gtoaster in about an hour.