Roadrunner

Nelson Garcia garcian002 at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Jul 19 15:17:26 PDT 2001

To answer the original questions:
- The cable box should not care what your MAC address is.  It may give you a
different IP if you change cards, etc. but as long as your machine can
negotiate a DHCP lease, you should be OK.
- If by installer you mean the Oceanic person doing your physical
installation, you will have to let him setup your windows machine (they do
not support Linux) or tell him when to stop (when you get the "cable" light
on your modem).
- I have done quite a few Linux/RoadRunner installations with various linux
routers and never had to worry about MAC addresses, your friend might have
misconfigured something (i.e. DHCP client).

Now the "is Oceanic evil?" question:

Does Oceanic really give you an IP address for each additional computer you
pay for?  That's not what I was told when I inquired about their service for
our elementary school project. Worse yet, they told me that I would have to
pay extra to have a permanent IP address.

What they said to me about bandwidth was that "it is the same that you get
for one computer".

They also told me that they would REQUIRE me to have a firewall that meets
their specifications; they didn't tell me what those specifications were but
quickly offered to sell me a solution.

I just signed up our school with Flexnet for ADSL service to our computer
lab, I'll be happy to share my experiences once I get everything setup.  All
things indicate that I won't be disappointed.

Aloha,
Nelson