Roadrunner

Linux Robot linuxrobot at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 19 02:48:37 PDT 2001

Jeff,

I'm definitely not the most qualified guy here, but I do have rr running,
and I set up a router to split the connection.  How many computers do you
have?  It sounds like you have at least two (the Win and the Mandrake), but
do you have a third to be a dedicated router?  LRP is pretty good,
especially for slower computers (like 386-486).  You may also want to check
out www.freesco.org, they also make a similar product.  But if you have a
P90 with decent RAM (more that 16MB) for the router, you may want to
consider running a more complete linux (like Red Hat 7.1) to do your
routing, since it has more security and logging features.

About the rr installer, I don't think they appreciate people splitting the
connection (they like to charge an additional $10 a month for each extra
computer, and all they do is split your bandwidth).  What happened with me
is that the rr was initially set up for just a single MAC, then I just
pulled the plug out and plugged it into the router later...  However, the rr
boxes that they give out now are a bit different, and I'm not sure how
simple it is now.  My friend got the exact same router as I have, but he has
a newer rr box (black, instead of the white one I got), and I think he had
to fiddle with the MAC address cloning or something...  So anyway, you may
want to pretend like you only want to set up one computer for rr (like the
Win, to keep everything on a down-low, and to make it simpler for the genius
installer) and try to do the linux stuff when they leave...

But don't get discouraged.  I'm 99.99% sure that linux can fulfill all your
dreams and much much more.  I hope someone else (who actually knows
something) will post a reply to help you out some more...  Please reply to
this if you have more questions, or want me to try clarify some of my
garbage above...

Best of luck,
LR