Speaking of Windows success stories ....

Robert Green aloha_moon at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 9 18:24:03 PDT 2001

The funny quotes reminded me -- I have a windows sucks-sess story of
my own, perhaps one of you folks may have a magic pill suggestion for
me ...

I was trying to listen to a streaming audio program last week on my
win 98 box, and it told me it wanted a new version of MS media
player, so I downloaded the program and tried to install it. It told
me it wanted to do a reboot to finish the install in typical windows
fashion, and it was never able to start up since. It tries to boot
and crashes during the startup.

I can't even get it to start in "Safe" mode. I *can* get command line
mode, or to boot from a startup floppy, but neither of those seem to
be of much use to me.

If anybody has run into something similar, or if you're feeling
adventurous, I would welcome any suggestions. I would just pitch the
whole thing out the door and stick to linux only but I have some
applications for my scanner and digital camera, PDA, etc., that I
cn't replace with Linux. MS's support web site didn't seem yield up
anything useful so far. Apparently they never considered that you
would not be able to start up at least in safe mode.

Thanks!

Rob