Networking Question

Ben Beeson beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Jul 8 15:56:13 PDT 2001

Warren,

	I'm not too sure about the vernacular here, but my understanding is that
the way you wire ethernet cables for directly connecting two computers is
different from those cables used to connect to a hub or router.  The
technician that built my cable for me called it a "half-rolled CAT 5
cable."  Basically he crossed two wires on the terminating jack in the
same manner that one would do to build a null-modem cable.  That way, the
two ethernet cards believe that the circuits are completed.  The
following is extracted from the Ethernet HOWTO at
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO-5.html

5.2 Twisted Pair

Twisted pair networks require active hubs, which start around $50, and
the raw cable cost can actually be higher than thinnet. You can pretty
much ignore claims that you can use your existing telephone wiring as it
is a rare installation where
that turns out to be the case.

On the other hand, all 100Mb/sec ethernet proposals use twisted pair, and
most new business installations use twisted pair. Also, Russ Nelson adds
that `New installations should use Category 5 wiring. Anything else is a
waste of your
installer's time, as 100Base-whatever is going to require Cat 5.'

If you are only connecting two machines, it is possible to avoid using a
hub, by swapping the Rx and Tx pairs (1-2 and 3-6).

If you hold the RJ-45 connector facing you (as if you were going to plug
it into your mouth) with the lock tab on the top, then the pins are
numbered 1 to 8 from left to right. The pin usage is as follows:

        Pin Number              Assignment
        ----------              ----------
        1                       Output Data (+)
        2                       Output Data (-)
        3                       Input Data (+)
        4                       Reserved for Telephone use
        5                       Reserved for Telephone use
        6                       Input Data (-)
        7                       Reserved for Telephone use
        8                       Reserved for Telephone use

If you want to make a cable, the following should spell it out for you.
Differential signal pairs must be on the same twisted pair to get the
required minimal impedance/loss of a UTP cable. If you look at the above
table, you will see that 1+2 and
3+6 are the two sets of differential signal pairs. Not 1+3 and 2+6 !!!!!!
At 10MHz, with short lengths, you *may* get away with such errors, if it
is only over a short length. Don't even think about it at 100MHz.

For a normal patch cord, with ends `A' and `B', you want straight through
pin-to-pin mapping, with the input and output each using a pair of
twisted wires (for impedance issues). That means 1A goes to 1B, 2A goes
to 2B, 3A goes to 3B and
6A goes to 6B. The wires joining 1A-1B and 2A-2B must be a twisted pair.
Also the wires joining 3A-3B and 6A-6B must be another twisted pair.

Now if you don't have a hub, and want to make a `null cable', what you
want to do is make the input of `A' be the output of `B' and the output
of `A' be the input of `B', without changing the polarity. Tha means
connecting 1A to 3B (out+ A to
in+ B) and 2A to 6B (out- A to in- B). These two wires must be a twisted
pair. They carry what card/plug `A' considers output, and what is seen as
input for card/plug `B'. Then connect 3A to 1B (in+ A to out+ B) and also
connect 6A to 2B
(in- A to out- B). These second two must also be a twisted pair. They
carry what card/plug `A' considers input, and what card/plug `B'
considers output.

So, if you consider a normal patch cord, chop one end off of it, swap the
places of the Rx and Tx twisted pairs into the new plug, and crimp it
down, you then have a `null' cable. Nothing complicated. You just want to
feed the Tx signal of one
card into the Rx of the second and vice versa.

Note that before 10BaseT was ratified as a standard, there existed other
network formats using RJ-45 connectors, and the same wiring scheme as
above. Examples are SynOptics's LattisNet, and AT&T's StarLAN. In some
cases, (as with
early 3C503 cards) you could set jumpers to get the card to talk to hubs
of different types, but in most cases cards designed for these older
types of networks will not work with standard 10BaseT networks/hubs.
(Note that if the cards also have
an AUI port, then there is no reason as to why you can't use that,
combined with an AUI to 10BaseT transceiver.)

Note the section for a normal patch cord.

Hope this helps,

Ben

On 7/7/01, 9:32:29 PM, "Warren Togami" <warren at togami.com> wrote regarding
[luau] Re: Networking Question: