Dual booting with XP

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Jul 5 14:44:29 PDT 2001

If XP RC1 is anything like Windows 2000, you should have no problem as long
as you follow these steps.

1) Do NOT format in Dynamic Disk mode.  This a proprietary Microsoft
partition scheme incompatible with everything.
2) Create a small (i.e. 16MB) primary partition of Linux type.  (i.e.
/dev/hda1)
3) Create a large primary partition for Windows NTFS.  (i.e. /dev/hda2)
4) Create Linux partition, then swap partition.  Either primary or logical
partitions are fine.  (i.e. /dev/hda3 and /dev/hda4)
5) Install Windows XP into the NTFS partition.
6) Install Linux.  /boot = /dev/hda1 and root = /dev/hda3
7) During LILO configuration, install LILO within the tiny /dev/hda1 with a
menu option for both Linux and Windows.
8) After first reboot, boot into either Windows or DOS, then use fdisk to
set the "active" partition to /dev/hda1.

If you followed these steps correctly, you should get a LILO boot menu at
startup letting you choose either Windows or Linux.