Upgrading rpm packages

Rodney Kanno pepe65 at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Jul 5 03:52:12 PDT 2001

On Thursday 05 July 2001 05:48 am, you wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > So that's the problem....thanks for you explanation, that makes things a
> > lot clearer for me. I think I will search for the mandrake version and
> > not mess up the rpmdb.
>
> Yeah, actually I already checked cooker (which has the latest mandrake
> rpms) and they aren't at 1.0.1 yet, so your left with waiting or installing
> from another distribution's set of rpms (and potentially screwings things
> up).  I think in this case you should be okay.  Just remember to do -i
> instead of -U so that libmng1 doesn't get removed from the db.  The reason
> for this is because Mandrake packages that depend on libmng will list
> libmng1 as a dependency, and if you do an Upgrade instead of install,
> libmng1 will be taken out of the db and no mandrake packages that depend on
> libmng will know that you have the library installed.  What do you need
> this for btw?  Mozilla?
>
> --Ray

Hi Ray,

I'm trying to install MPlayer....but it says I need to have a bunch of other
files installed and to install some of those, I need libmng. Any video player
will do for me as long as it can play avi's and mpegs created in windows. Any
other program recommendations?

Rodney

--
If at first you don't succeed.....destroy all the evidence that you did!

Odlanor Zurc