Linus Torvalds Interview

Nelson Garcia garcian002 at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Jul 2 19:37:01 PDT 2001

I don't think the concept of open source as we know it today existed then.
Minix was a teaching tool developed by Dr. Tanenbaum, colleagues and
students over a period of time.  It and the associated source code come with
Dr. Tanenbaum's book "Operating Systems: Design and Implementation".  If I
remember correctly, recent editions of the book come with a CD that you can
use to install Minix on a PC or to run a simulator version in the DOS
environment.

Many of Andrew Tanenbaum's books include source code as an integral part of
the text - his way of showing how stuff works.  His books tend to approach
this code as shared knowledge just as if he was telling you how many bits
are in a byte.  Linus, by virtue of adopting that same phylosophy into his
work, can take a lot (if not all) of the credit for launching the open souce
movement.  Is kind of the "pay-it-forward" model, if the second guy hadn't
done it, it would have been dead.