Linus Torvalds Interview

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Jul 2 14:48:28 PDT 2001

http://www.siliconvalley.com/news/special/torvalds/part1.htm

Nothing new or interesting, but for once a programmer interviews Linus
rather than some clueless media person.  This may help some further
understand what Open Source is all about.
"Moira: So, I couldn't take your code, make some changes and than sell it to
somebody else?

"Linus: Oh, but you can! You can take my code, you can do any changes you
want, and you can do anything to it. You can sell it. You can package it up.
You can make a commercial product out of it. You can do all the hard work,
and people have done all of this hard work, and you sell it to everybody you
know and their grandmothers, right? You're allowed to do that. The only
thing you're not allowed to do is take away the rights of everybody you know
and their grandmothers to do the same thing to you.

"Moira: You've got to pass along the source code, as well.

"Linus: You have to pass along the source code. You have to pass along, not
just the source code, but the right to make further changes, and that's
really the basis of the whole copyright.