good parts

al plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Sun Jul 1 12:54:30 PDT 2001

"Deven Phillips, CISSP" wrote:

> Eric,
>
> Looks like everyone else missed the fact that you wanted to make sure
> that the system was wasy to use under Linux. You can go to "Person Touch
> Computers" across the street from CompUSA, and they will custom build a
> "Linux Compatible" system for. I should know, I helped them to compile a
> list of hardware. If you tell them that you want Linux compatible, they
> have a list of hardware that works well, and I believe they will
> pre-install Mandrake for you if you like.
>
> Deven Phillips, CISSP
> Network Architect
> Viata Online, Inc.
>
> Eric Lauritzen wrote:
> >
> > I'm preparing to buy a computer and/or build one.  Mandrake 8 or Slackware
> > current will be my primary OS for this home computer.  I'm aiming to spend
> > less than $1500, and as close to $1000 as possible.  I don't desire top of
> > the line, I'm more after cost effectiveness.
> >
> > I'm trying to avoid a lot of complicated install problems or conflicts.  Has
> > anyone built a machine lately that runs well under Linux and was easy to
> > install Linux on?
> >
> > Am I pretty much safe with any intel or AMD processor and motherboard combo?
> >
> > I don't need top of the line video, but a decent balance between ease of
> > configuration and the goodies would be nice.
> >
> > Are the soundblaster Lives supported well now?
> >
> > Am I save with pretty much any of the 40gig 7200 hard drives?
> >
> > Thanks for any advice or insight,
> >
> > Eric
> >
> > ---
> > You are currently subscribed to luau as: dphillips at viata.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to luau as: webmaster at hawaiidakine.com

I second what Deven says about Personal Touch Computers
across Comp USA in town.  I just bought and built up a
Mandrake 7.1 box for about $500.00. The case and sound card
I had, everything elese came from them.
--
 Aloha! Al Plant -Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Providing FAST DSL Service for $28.80/mo.  Member Small