Rant about unnecessary Windoze usage

Jeff Mings jeffm at lava.net
Wed Jan 24 18:53:03 PST 2001

     I have a windoze desktop next to my Linux portable, but it is
mainly relegated to burning CD-Rs and running windoze apps.  I do
virtually everything in Linux, so I of course use Linux apps like
Quanta, which of course is free.  I use SSH as well, from Linux, and
Mozilla for my browser/email instead of from Outlook (no visual basic
viruses for me).  I am largely disappointed by the large number of linux
enthusiasts who continue to use windoze when a preferable linux
alternative exists.  For example, rather than using windoze to move
things around windoze networks, I use the various smb utilities, and a
wonderful app called linneighborhood that effortlessly finds and browses
any windoze domain/workgroup.  I long ago gave up photoshop for Gimp
(still haven't gotten the new 1.2 though), Word/WordPro have been
replace by Star Office, and the same goes for Excel and Lotus.  The only
holdouts: I can't view quicktime files, and I can't proof my HTML in
Internet Exploder under Linux.  I've also been too lazy to set up
printing to all of our printers on my linux laptop.  For everything
else, there's simply NO reason to even boot up in Windoze.

-Jeff