LUAU

Nelson Garcia garcian002 at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Jan 21 18:43:58 PST 2001

I have been on this list for a while but never made it to a meeting. I live
in Ewa Beach and have only been using Linux for about a year.  My biggest
fear was of showing up for a meeting and feeling ignorant and out of place.
So I have hacked my way through most things every Linux User Group member
(LUG) would need to learn (networking, security, etc.).

I think that it would be fair to assume that there are others like me in the
list. I would like to suggest that the meetings recognize this need to
educate the newbies like me.  Also, it would be nice to know in advance what
the topics/agenda for the meeting are.

In my mind, I have divided Linux Users Group members (LUGs) into three
categories: New-LUG, Real-LUG, and SUPER-LUG (or SLUG).

An example meeting might go like this:
- [New-LUGs show up]
- discussion on distributions and installation
- how to get Linux to recognize your NIC? or is it the other way around?

- [Real-LUGs show up with laptops, pda's and workstations]
- discussion on building kernels, compilers, optimizations, etc.
- [New-LUGs start getting fidgety]

- [Super-LUGs show up wearing the same clothes they wore for the last
meeting]
- [New-LUGs head for the parking lot, but not because of the smell]
- [Somebody orders pizza, Chinese and 2 cases of Mountain Dew]
- Discussion on massively parallel recursive algorithms for detecting when a
cat walks on a keyboard
- [Super-LUGs yawn and decide that warm-up is over, somebody launches a
low-earth-orbit satellite]
- [Real-LUGs get fidgety and slowly inch toward the exits]
- Demonstration of simulation and artificial intelligence reveals that the
next meeting will be even better
- In response, the word "cool" is projected on the Moon using a laser
pointer and a pda.
- [Real-LUGs run...]
- [Mid-Pacific Institute security, NASA and the FBI respectfully request
that we "cut it out", adding "this time we mean it"]

Anyway, since I have never been to a meeting, I guess I'll wait and see how
the real thing turns out. I can't wait, who's got a laser pointer?

Aloha,
Nelson Garcia
(New-LUG)