Wayne's Question about freesco.

Wayne Bow admin at stfrancis-oahu.org
Fri Jan 5 15:07:53 PST 2001

Hi Al,

> Wayne,
>
> 1. We telnet into the lan through the router.
>
> You go into the section of the disk configuration marked in red.  You
> can read the instructions and open the telnet port to one machine on the
> lan.  I have a sysadmin using an account on one of my boxes so he can
> see what the customer sees from outside when looking into him.

That's the 'port forwarding' mapping port requests for the telnet port
to the same port on an internal machine. That I understand.

> 2. I can also telnet into the router box using> telnet nameofrouter and
> get:
>
>  Linux 2.0.38 (nameofrouter) (ttyp0)
> login:
>
> Would either if these work for you?

written earlier:
> You can also telnet in to the freesco router to make adjustments.
 It also
> allows for telneting from outside on the net to one specific box
with out any
> others being un secure.

Now I see. I mis read the original post on this. Basically you have
two different options going on. One to forward to the telnet port on a
specific machine, the other to allow telnet access to the router.
Telnetting to the router can be set to three levels: non allowed,
internal acces only, or whole world access.  Soory about dragging
this out *way* longer than necessary.

Have a groovy..and thanks for the clarification.

Wayne Bow
Network Administrator
St Francis School, Manoa Campus
(808) 988.4111 ext 107