Fwd: RE: Home Network

Nelson Garcia garcian002 at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Jan 4 19:43:29 PST 2001

You are right, if you have static IP the answer to the DHCP question should
be "no".  If you are going to use the router as a DHCP server for the rest
of your LAN, then answer 'yes' to that question and follow the prompts.  If
everyone in the LAN will have static IPs, then all DHCP-related questions
should be "no".  The freesco site has good documentation that you can
download.

For a router, processor speeds are not that important - that's why old PCs
can make good routers.  Just make sure that you have adequate memory (I do
fine on 16MB of RAM) because everything runs in a RAM disk in memory, as a
matter of fact, after you boot Freesco you can pull the floppy and you won't
need it until you have to reboot.  That's also why you can just turn the
power off without worrying about shutting down.  Some online games might
test the performance limits of your router though, check the documentation
for tuning tips, warnings, etc.

Freesco also lets you manage your router from a web browser within your LAN.
Just use http://< You router's internal interface IP> and after you enter
the admin password, you can manage your router.

As you can tell, I am partial to Freesco.  I have tried LRP, Coyote Linux
and MuLinux.  Freesco was the easiest, although MuLinux was amazing
(http://mulinux.nevalabs.org/).

Good Luck,
Nelson