OT: computer files transfer

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Feb 28 12:31:00 PST 2001

One method that works well is copying directly from one hard drive to
another using Windows on a desktop machine.  You can buy a laptop to desktop
IDE cable from Byteware for about $15.

Make sure you have enough space on a blank FAT32 partition or drive on the
desktop machine and plug in the laptop hard drive as a slave or another IDE
channel.  When you boot, the new hard drive should show up as a new drive
letter.

At a DOS Prompt, use this command.
sys E: D:
Substitute E for your laptop drive, and D for your blank partition.

Use Windows Explorer (NOT DOS prompt!) to copy the entire drive.  This
should copy all file attributes (hidden, system, read-only, archive) too.
Repeat the process to copy everything to the new laptop hard drive.

Now Windows _should_ boot, but the drivers will be all messed up.  It will
ask for a bunch of disks or drivers which you may not have.  Your best bet
is to go to the manufacturer's web sites and see if they have driver
downloads for that operating system.  If you can't find any, probably will
have to go back to the original Windows.