Linux and Compaq iPAQ Pocket PC

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sun Feb 25 14:13:31 PST 2001

Linux on the iPAQ is very experimental.  It mostly works, but it isn't
incredibly useful without PIM applications and syncing.
I tested similar software on my VTech Helio PDA.  It was a nice toy to have
a command line on my handheld, but that was fun for only 10 minutes.  On the
Helio it takes 30 seconds to the start the Java VM.  Not very usable.

I heard that the iPAQ has acceptable performance with the pocketlinux.org
Java Linux distribution.

There are several sites on Linux for the iPAQ
http://www.pocketlinux.org/ - Java based
http://www.handhelds.org/ - W based
And there's some other site somewhere that's based on MicroX.

will have a much easier time with the Serial cradle.