Switching to DSL

al plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Wed Feb 14 20:23:37 PST 2001

jay wrote:

> you might want to also consider openbsd on a 486.
> it uses ipfilter (a stateful packet inspection firewall) w/ ipnat and is
> almost way too easy to set up.  to get similar features in linux, you'd
> need to install the 2.4 kernel.
>
> i'm not wanting to start a bsd vs. linux war or anything.  i'm just
> possibly one of the laziest humans on earth and am seeking to share my
> path of least effort knowledge with others.
>
> =jay
>
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Jeff Mings wrote:
>
> > I switched from RoadRash to DSL after moving offices since RoadRash's
> > terms of service now specifically forbid bandwidth sharing among
> > multiple machines. I had previously used DHCP for RR, but received a
> > static IP address with DSL (via Flex.net), so I had to change that as
> > well as the other related things - DNS, gateway, blah blah. The linux
> > box that provides IP masquerading (or NAT if you prefer to call it) also
> > functions very nicely as our firewall. Standard ipchains setup - I also
> > block many banner ad sites to conserve bandwidth, such as doubleclick,
> > which has about eight different IP ranges. I also block IRC and AIM
> > ports, and have turned off all services I don't need coming in, like
> > FTP. In short, it's a decent firewall. I'm not familiar with all of the
> > SOHO2's capabilities, but if it's like the blue Linksys router, it will
> > be lacking in:
> > 1) Logging - the Linksys boxen don't have hard drives, and don't have
> > much space for logging things like break-in attempts, etc. You have to
> > run a windoze app that constantly queries the box to do this.
> > 2) Connections - the Linksys boxen are limited to a smaller number of
> > simultaneously masqueraded connections than what even a decent Pentium
> > Linux box can maintain - I don't recall the exact number. Of course, for
> > a few machines, you'll have no problem.
> >
> > -Jeff
> >
> > Doug Long wrote:
> >
> > > I have schedule to switch my current Road Runner connection to DSL.  I am
> > > using a linux computer for IP forwarding. First question, do I have to
> > > change the configuration of linux to switch to DSL. Do I have to add a
> > > script to establish the DSL connection.
> > >
> > > Second question related to the first.  It has been recommended that I
> > > install a SonicWall SOHO2 internet appliance for a firewall and DHCP.  Can't
> > > I continue to use the Linux computer to do this?
> > >
> > > Doug Long
> > >

> > ---
> > You are currently subscribed to luau as: jay at musubi.org
> >

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to luau as: webmaster at hawaiidakine.com

Hi,

I run freesco router floppy disk on a 486 here and DSL loves
it. Dedicated IP address is how ours works.

 Aloha! Al Plant -Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Providing FAST DSL Service for $28.80/mo.  Member Small
Business Hawaii.
Running Caldera Linux 2.4 & Free BSD 4.0 UNIX
Support Open Source in Business and Computing.