Switching to DSL

Jeff Mings jeffm at lava.net
Wed Feb 14 11:24:35 PST 2001

I switched from RoadRash to DSL after moving offices since RoadRash's
terms of service now specifically forbid bandwidth sharing among
multiple machines. I had previously used DHCP for RR, but received a
static IP address with DSL (via Flex.net), so I had to change that as
well as the other related things - DNS, gateway, blah blah. The linux
box that provides IP masquerading (or NAT if you prefer to call it) also
functions very nicely as our firewall. Standard ipchains setup - I also
block many banner ad sites to conserve bandwidth, such as doubleclick,
which has about eight different IP ranges. I also block IRC and AIM
ports, and have turned off all services I don't need coming in, like
FTP. In short, it's a decent firewall. I'm not familiar with all of the
SOHO2's capabilities, but if it's like the blue Linksys router, it will
be lacking in:
1) Logging - the Linksys boxen don't have hard drives, and don't have
much space for logging things like break-in attempts, etc. You have to
run a windoze app that constantly queries the box to do this.
2) Connections - the Linksys boxen are limited to a smaller number of
simultaneously masqueraded connections than what even a decent Pentium
Linux box can maintain - I don't recall the exact number. Of course, for
a few machines, you'll have no problem.

-Jeff