can't ping the internet

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Fri Feb 9 11:58:37 PST 2001

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Rodney Davis wrote:

> I need help with configuring my linux box's network configuration.  I
> can ping localhost and the router but I cannot ping any machines
> outside the network.  ifconfig shows all of the right addresses and I
> have looked at /etc/hosts and /etc/networks and they appear to be the
> same as other machines on this network. When I use the netstat command
> nothing shows "connected". Can anyone point me in the right direction
> for resolving this dilemma?

There are so many things that could go wrong with this that I couldn't
even begin.

Check your default route. (netstat -rn)

Double check your network settings. Triple check them.

Check your hub.

check your resolv.conf. See if your DNS server is working.

Check your ethernet card.

netstat won't tell you what you need to know. I can't diagnose the problem
without getting details. It's like telling your mechanic, my car doesn't
work.