remote X-windows

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Feb 7 16:14:04 PST 2001

> The linux box I'm putting together has integrated audio/video (a SOYO
> 7IWB). I'm not all that interested in sound, but I do know I had
> problems the last time I tried to configure X-Windows to work with this
> motherboard.

Is it an Intel i810 chipset?  If you use the X server on this machine (not
remote), then you'll need the agpgart kernel module.

> Question: Is it possible to set up a box for X-Windows without actually
> setting up a graphics card if all you are going to be doing is connecting
> remotely from a Windoze box via VNC?

I believe so.  VNC creates its own virtual framebuffer on the server side.

> I have a feeling this might be something that products like Xceed would be
> used for, but I was trying to keep to inexpensive (read 'free')
> applications :) I also suspect I may misunderstand what is necessary to
> make a remote X-Windows connection.

Try the XFree86 port to Windows.
http://www.cygwin.com/xfree/

Its a very preliminary port and works in only Windows NT 4, 2000 and, Me.
You can either SSH into your box and forward X to your Windows machine, or
use xdm to connect and get a login Window.

If you use SSH or X forwarding, please use SSH to keep everything secure.
You will also have the benefit of SSH compression.