remote X-windows

Erich S. sharky at websharx.com
Wed Feb 7 08:33:18 PST 2001

Aloha folks! :)

I'm a shellie and I haven't used X-Windows all that much (severe trauma
from trying to configure X back in the mid 90's and all) but am interested
in getting familiar with it using VNC as a remote connection application.

The linux box I'm putting together has integrated audio/video (a SOYO
7IWB). I'm not all that interested in sound, but I do know I had
problems the last time I tried to configure X-Windows to work with this
motherboard.

Question: Is it possible to set up a box for X-Windows without actually
setting up a graphics card if all you are going to be doing is connecting
remotely from a Windoze box via VNC?

I have a feeling this might be something that products like Xceed would be
used for, but I was trying to keep to inexpensive (read 'free')
applications :) I also suspect I may misunderstand what is necessary to
make a remote X-Windows connection.

Thanks in advance,
	E :) (still living in a Linux Shell)